[protege-owl] Ontology Vs Semantic Networks

Thomas Russ tar at ISI.EDU
Mon Apr 23 09:31:48 PDT 2007

On Apr 21, 2007, at 7:54 AM, James Taylor wrote:

> Hello,
> What are the most fundamental differences/similarities between
> ontologies and semantic networks.

Well, I'll take a quick stab at something:

Ontologies are conceptualizations (cf Tom Gruber's defn).  They are
mental constructs that identify the terminology and relationships in
a particular domain.

Semantic networks are a technology.  They can be used to implement an
ontology, as well as various other technologies such as first order
logic, description logic, frames, F-Logic, knowledge maps, etc.