[protege-owl] Correct Subject : use of multiple and sufficient blocks

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Mon Apr 23 09:38:25 PDT 2007

> So, my conclusion is that multiple N&S blocks would seem to boil down to a
> sort of "and/or" situation, where a class may be defined as such if it
> carries either block or both blocks. Am I right in this assumption?
This isn't right.  Multiple N&S blocks are used when you have more than
one definition for a single concept.  So you could have two definitions
for a triangle:

    Triangle = (Polygon & (hasVertex = 3))
    Triangle = (Polygon & (hasEdge = 3))

This is a slightly contrived example but  you can see that the intent is
that both definitions define the same thing.  If an individual satisfies
the criteria of the first definition then he will also satisfy the
criteria of the second definition and vice versa.

As to the question of when this is the best way to model something I
will leave that to others to answer.