[protege-owl] Use of multiple necessary and sufficient blocks....and tree representation of equivalents

Alan March amarch at conceptum.com.ar
Mon Apr 23 12:16:03 PDT 2007

OK. Got it.

My confusion arose from the fact that, on detecting equivalences, Protégé
not only places them alonside the original class (as greyed classes) but
also -graphically- subclasses them. I wrote about this behaviour some time
ago, as I cannot quite understand why Protégé designers did this. Is there
a reason for this, or am I again out on a limb? It seems somehow
counterintuitive to have a class resulting both as an equivalent and a
subclass after running a classification. The problem arises when after
classification both real subclasses and equivalents are rendered as
(graphical) subclasses. They get mixed up and the final graphical
representation is difficult to read. Wouldn't it be more convenient, for
user's sake, to just leave equivalents greyed and on the same line as the
"main" class and linked by the Ξ sign?

Regarding Thomas' answer seconds ago, my case was something on the lines of
what he exemplifies in the last paragraph.