[protege-owl] OWL restrictions

Martin O'Connor martin.oconnor at stanford.edu
Tue Apr 24 13:24:33 PDT 2007

Priscilla Moraes wrote:

>Hi Martin!
>
>I'm using the SWRLJessTab in the Protégè 3.3 beta (where shows the subtab
>"Restrictions" but don't works).

As mentioned in the Wiki link, only owl:sameAs, owl:differentFrom,
owl:allDifferent, owl:equivalentClass, and owl:equivalentProperty
restrictions are currently exported. As soon as DIG 2.0 becomes
available, I will be writing a KAON2 back end for the SWRLTab that will
support almost all OWL restrictions.

>How can I to write the restrictions in the Jess directly? Are they must be
>rules? Do you have any example?

There is no way to access the Jess rules created by the SWRLTab's Jess
bridge implementation. These rules and associated Jess facts are
generated automatically. However, you can still use the reasoner to
check your restrictions (see below).

>OneWayDelay(?x)  ∧  OneWayTool(?y)  ∧  VoIP(?z)  ∧  isMeasuredBy(?x, ?y)  ∧
>requires(?z, ?x) → needs(?z, ?y)
>
>In this case, the property isMeasuredBy has restrictions. Some values to x
>only can be acceptable to other some values ?y. Where can I say this?

You can run a reasoner before executing the SWRL rules to ensure that
there are no invalid isMeasuredBy relationships. Then the rule should
work as planned.

Remember, SWRL is only going to find existing individuals ?x that are
related to existing individuals ?y through the isMeasuredBy property. If
your ontology has invalid isMeasuredBy relationships, there is something
wrong with it and it should be fixed before any inference with SWRL
rules is performed on it.

Martin