[protege-owl] overwriting inherited conditions in owl

Antonio Toral antonio.toral at ilc.cnr.it
Thu Apr 26 03:57:01 PDT 2007

hi,

I'm using Protege 3.2.1. with the OWL plugin to model an OWL ontology. I have
a problem regarding intherited conditions. Although I've looked for it in the
archive of the list I haven't found any message with a related topic. I'll
try to explain it with a simple example:

Let's say I have an ontology with the following elements:
- Classes A and B (B is a subclass of A)
- ObjectProperty p

I'd like A to have one and only one p (max 1 & min 1 for A) and so I apply two
restrictions to A:
- p mincardinality 1
- p maxcardinality 1

I'd like B to have at least one p (min 1 for B) but B inherits from A:
- p mincardinality 1
- p maxcardinality 1

p minc. 1 is ok but I'd like to overwrite p maxc. 1. So far I've only come up
with the solution of writing a new maxcardinality restriction to B such as:
- p maxcardinality 100000 (so this new maxc. overwrites the inherited maxc. 1)

however, what I'd like is not to have any maxcardinality at all for B! is that
possible?

thanks in advance!