[protege-owl] SWRL evaluation without DIG 1.0?

Martin O'Connor martin.oconnor at stanford.edu
Thu Apr 26 09:03:24 PDT 2007

The SWRLTab has no DIG 1.0 dependency - it uses Jess to perform
inference via direct calls to the Jess API. (The DIG 2.0 requirement I
mentioned yesterday would be for a KAON2 back end only.)

As with most OWL tools that use reasoners, Protege-OWL does require DIG
1.0 to interact with reasoners.

However, if you are using constructs that are not supported by DIG 1.0 I
would guess that you are not in OWL DL - in which case the SWRL language
itself may not be useful for you. SWRL is based on OWL DL and can not
deal directly with OWL Full concepts, such as, for example, classes as
values. (Though I have implemented some libraries that can be used to
get around these restrictions, e.g., [1]).

Martin

[1] http://protege.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?SWRLTBoxBuiltIns