[protege-owl] How to read an imported ontology with protégé API?

Thomas Russ tar at ISI.EDU
Thu Apr 26 09:04:23 PDT 2007

On Apr 26, 2007, at 8:35 AM, santana at email.it wrote:

> Hello to all.
>
> I have two ontologies: ontology A and an ontology B. I have
> imported the
> ontology B in ontology A. So I have some individuals of ontology A
> that
> have some reference with some individual of ontology B via Object
> properties.
>
> I need to read ontology A with protege API, therefore when I have an
> individual in ontology A that has an object property with an
> individual
> on ontology B I have to read all that I can about the individual of
> ontology B (object property, subclass, datatype, etc.).
>
> How can I "read" properties about individual of ontology B? Which
> class
> or methods I have to use?

You don't have to do anything special.

Just load ontology A using the normal Protege API.  It will then also
read the imported ontology B (which may require setting up repository
information).  The access methods in the Protege API don't
distinguish between ontologies, so any values for properties, etc.
will be returned regardless of which ontology they come from.
Typically they will be in different namespaces, so you will have to
pay some attention to that when looking things up by name, but once
you have the objects, you can access them based on connections, not
which ontology they belong to.