[protege-owl] instances inferring

Abrami Géraldine geraldine.abrami at cemagref.fr
Thu Apr 26 09:19:45 PDT 2007

Hi everybody

We have a very existential question about the way instances classification is made by OWL reasonner.

As far as I understood the Open World Assumption, when I create a new "empty" class (without restrictions) MyNewClass directly under owl:thing and run the reasonner I thought that all individuals would have been classified in this MyNewClass.

Why does this not happen?

The underlying question is : we want to create a defined class NYInhabitants defined by the N&S restriction

livesInCity hasValue NewYork

If we put our NYInhabitants at the root level, then the resonner is able to classify correctly people instances in our class.

But if we put our NYInhabitants class under an "empty" Queries class, then we don't get our people classified anymore..

Could you please explain simply why?

Thank you,

Cheers

Géraldine Abrami