[protege-owl] instances inferring

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Thu Apr 26 12:09:51 PDT 2007

> As far as I understood the Open World Assumption, when I create a
> new “empty” class (without restrictions) MyNewClass directly
> under owl:thing and run the reasonner I thought that all
> individuals would have been classified in this MyNewClass.
>
> Why does this not happen?
A new individual won't be classified into MyNewClass unless there is
proof that they belong there.   The open world assumption does not
say anything about whether an new individual is in this new class.
Also the word "empty" is probably misleading.  If you don't have any
restrictions or other assertions about a class then it is not empty,
you just don't know anything about it.  An empty class would be a
subclass of owl:Nothing and such a class could not contain any
individuals by definition.

>  The underlying question is : we want to create a defined class
> NYInhabitants defined by the N&S restriction
>
> livesInCity hasValue NewYork
>
> If we put our NYInhabitants at the root level, then the resonner is
> able to classify correctly people instances in our class.
>
> But if we put our NYInhabitants class under an “empty” Queries
> class, then we don’t get our people classified anymore..

I could not replicate this.  I did what you described and I created
an individual Sam that livesInCity NewYork.  When I ran

	ran OWL->Compute Inferred Types

	went to the Individuals tab

	clicked on NYInhabitants

         clicked on Inferred Types

I saw Sam an an inferred member of NYInhabitants.