[protege-owl] Define some interval subclass

Thomas Russ tar at ISI.EDU
Fri Apr 27 10:17:08 PDT 2007

On Apr 27, 2007, at 4:25 AM, Steve Jonathan Tirtha wrote:

> Hi,
>
> How can I define subclass that represents interval of its superclass.
> Example:
> I have a class "Weight" and I divide it into some subclasses:
> WeightUnder10Kg, WeightBetween10And30Kg, WeightOver30Kg.
> I can define them only as a name. But how can define that the class
> WeightUnder10Kg can only have weight under 10 kg.

As pointed out by others, this is not something that you can express
using OWL.

Some restrictions like this can be expressed either by creating your
own XSD datatypes.  Or else you need to look to additional languages
like SWRL, which can do some things like this.

Or you find a modeling language more expressive than OWL.

> NB: is there any best practice for ontology modelling. I've read
> already Ontology 101. That was pretty good, but it's still not enough.

There isn't really any complete consensus on modeling practices.

There are some hints in the OWL tests that you can run from Protege.

There has also been methodological work on ontologies in general
(rather than OWL-specific), from U. Amsterdam (CommonKADS) and from
some theoretical work (Chris Welty and Nicola Guarino -- OntoClean)