[protege-owl] How to determine the execution sequence of swrl rules?

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Wed Aug 1 10:03:06 PDT 2007

I can give a generic rule-system answer.

The usual answer with rule systems is that you should not and can not
predict the sequence.  Rules are allowed to fire at any time when
their preconditions have been met.  The advice that is usually given
is to not think procedurally or about the sequence.  Just try to make
each rule be a valid statement of what is supposed to happen
regardless of the timing.

In practice there are occasions where this is hard to do.  Some rule
systems have facilities to help the user  constrain rule execution
sequence when it absolutely becomes necessary  (e.g. rule priorities
and rule modules).  But I don't know how or if this could be applied
to SWRL.

-Timothy