[protege-owl] How to determine the execution sequence of swrl rules?

Martin O'Connor martin.oconnor at stanford.edu
Wed Aug 1 10:48:32 PDT 2007

One approach is to partition rules into different abstraction layers,
with rules in lower level layers computing fairly straightforward
abstractions and higher level layers using those computed results to
generate successively more complex abstractions.

In general, if you if there are complex interrelationships between
rules, the rule base is going to be hard to debug - and the problem will
only get worse as the number of rules increases.

That said, you can determine what each rule is doing during an inference
run by generating SWRL queries for those rules to examine the
information matched during each successful firing.

Say we have the following two rules:

A(?a) ^ B(?b) -> C(?c)
C(?c) -> D(?d)

We can determine what ?a and ?bs were matched for each successful firing
of the first rule by cloning the rule in the editor and replacing the
head with a query built-in:

A(?a) ^ B(?b) -> query:select(?a, ?b)

Queries and rules are executed simultaneously in the SWRLTab so when you
examine the results of this query in the SWRLQueryTab you will see
exactly what values each variables were bound to when the rule fired.

You could even just add the query built-in to the original rule head:

A(?a) ^ B(?b) -> C(?c) ^ query:select(?a, ?b)

but in general it is probably best to separate queries and rules.

Martin