[protege-owl] problem loading galen.owl with protege 3 and protege 4

helen.chen at agfa.com helen.chen at agfa.com
Wed Aug 1 14:09:31 PDT 2007

Tim

Thanks for your reply.

I did try to change the size specified in run.bat (there is no more size
specification in protege.lax file any more), but the result is the same
(hung after loading 220,000 triples).

Any ideas?

Best.

Helen

Timothy Redmond <tredmond at stanford.edu>
Sent by: protege-owl-bounces at lists.stanford.edu
08/01/2007 12:28 PM
Please respond to
User support for the Protege-OWL editor <protege-owl at lists.stanford.edu>

User support for the Protege-OWL editor <protege-owl at lists.stanford.edu>
cc

Subject
Re: [protege-owl] problem loading galen.owl with protege 3 and  protege 4

You have almost certainly run into an out-of-memory error.
Unfortunately the logging in Protege 4 still has a bit of a problem
and the exception is not always displayed.   If you can, increase the
memory and let us know how it goes.

I believe that I fixed the problem with logging last night on an
internal development branch (it will find its way to the head).

-Timothy

On Aug 1, 2007, at 8:23 AM, helen.chen at agfa.com wrote:

> Dear list
>

> I downloaded protege 4 and trying to open a local copy of galen.owl
> [1].  The owl file is about 21M..  After loading 220,000 triples
> (message on console), the system hung forever (I have to kill the
> process after more than 30 minutes waiting).
>
> This is the same problem with protege 3.2.
>
> Can anyone share his/her experience in loading large ontology in
> protege?  Is there a place where I can specify a larger memory
> space for loading large ontology?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Helen
>
> [1] full galen owl ontology http://bioontology.org/projects/