[protege-owl] Changes in ontology badly mapped to OWL file

Christian Knuepfer tral at minet.uni-jena.de
Thu Aug 2 03:51:35 PDT 2007

Hi all,

There is a unpleasant behaviour of Protege-owl I'd like to discuss: Even
if a make a little change in an ontology the resulting owl file differs
significantly on the syntactical level. The differences are not limited
to the changes I made. This happens especially due to resorting of
things. Of course the meaning of the owl file is not changed by this.
But wrt. versioning (e.g. CVS) of the ontology (in its owl
representation) this behaviour is very  disastrous. See for example:

http://teddyontology.cvs.sourceforge.net/teddyontology/teddy/ontology/teddy.owl?r1=1.34&r2=1.35

I changed only 'owl:versionInfo'...

Is there any solution for this problem? Maybe I made something wrong.
Does Protege have a canonical way to generate the owl file? If so, the
problem should not arise. So, I think there is no such canonical way. Am
I right?

Cheers,

Christian.

--

Christian Knuepfer
Friedrich-Schiller-Universitaet Jena

currently at:
EMBL-EBI, Wellcome-Trust Genome Campus
Hinxton, Cambridge
CB10 1SD, UK

Mobile: Intl.+44-(0)7942-333513

e-mail: tral at informatik.uni-jena.de
WWW: http://www.informatik.uni-jena.de/~tral

PGP Key-ID: 0xC3329342
PGP Public Key:
  http://www.minet.uni-jena.de/~tral/data/christian_knuepfer_pub.asc
Fingerprint 5656 7F57 8E58 FC7B AC58 6714 3DA4 3181 C332 9342H