[protege-owl] Exception while importing swrl rules with query:select built in

Kiran Dhamane kiran.d at imfinity.com
Thu Aug 2 04:36:48 PDT 2007

Hi all,

I am trying to write a java application to import swrl rules with the query
built in. We intend to build a web service which will return the results of
the query. I’ve attached the java file and owl file. The zip file contains
the entire protégé project.

The owl file has two rules:

1)       Rule-1: Without query built in

2)       Rule-2: With query:selectDistinct built in

The code works correctly if I delete the Rule-2 from the owl file. However,
when Rule-2 is included the following exception is thrown:

edu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl.swrl.bridge.exceptions.SWRLRuleEngineBridgeExc
eption: Empty built-in name in SWRLBuiltinAtom: SimpleInstance(@_:A69 of
[DefaultOWLNamedClass(swrl:BuiltinAtom, FrameID(5:10160 1))])

            at
edu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl.swrl.bridge.BuiltInAtomInfo.<init>(BuiltInAtom
Info.java:48)

            at
edu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl.swrl.bridge.SWRLRuleEngineBridge.processSWRLAt
om(SWRLRuleEngineBridge.java:382)

            at
edu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl.swrl.bridge.SWRLRuleEngineBridge.importSWRLRul
e(SWRLRuleEngineBridge.java:353)

            at
edu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl.swrl.bridge.SWRLRuleEngineBridge.importSWRLRul
es(SWRLRuleEngineBridge.java:333)

            at
edu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl.swrl.bridge.SWRLRuleEngineBridge.importSWRLRul
esAndOWLKnowledge(SWRLRuleEngineBridge.java:131)

            at
edu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl.swrl.bridge.SWRLRuleEngineBridge.importSWRLRul
esAndOWLKnowledge(SWRLRuleEngineBridge.java:114)

            at
com.demo.application.OWLAPIDemoApplication.main(OWLAPIDemoApplication.java:4
6)

The line which throws the exception is:

bridge.importSWRLRulesAndOWLKnowledge();

Has anyone faced similar issues and solved it? Any help would be
appreciated.

Thanks & Regards,

Kiran Dhamane

Imfinity India Pvt. Ltd.