[protege-owl] Modeling a class which is composed by two other classes (like an association class)

Gustavo Felhberg gustavo.felhberg at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 13:49:55 PDT 2007

Hi everybody.

I'm trying to model the following relation on Protege:

There are three concepts: Producer, WorkPerformance and WorkUnit.

WorkUnit is composed by 1 Producer and 1 WorkUnit. (This WorkPerformance
is like an association class)
A Producer can compose * WorkPerformance as well as the WorkUnit class.

I'm modeling them like this (the relation "involves" is my composition
relation in this case):

The class WorkPerformance has 3 restrictions:
involves only (WorkUnit or Producer)
involves some Producer
involves some WorkUnit

(is this somehow redundant? but that's not the main point)

The problem is that I want to constraint that a WorkPerformance is
composed only by 1 producer AND 1 workUnit.

If I use the restriction "involves exactly 1", it just let me add one
Producer OR one WorkUnit. If I restrict using "involves exactly 2", it
allows me to add 2 Producers or 2 WorkUnits. If I use the restrictions

involves exactly 1 Producer
involves exactly 1 WorkUnit

it does not work. It continues allowing me to add more than one Producer
and WorkUnit and worse, it my ontology to be OWL-Full (I need it to be
OWL-DL).

Do anyone knows how to model it?

--

*sds,*