[protege-owl] Import Problem and Active Ontology

Jean-Paul jp at vooght.de
Sat Aug 4 09:52:34 PDT 2007

Hello,
I have tried to build an ontology on top of an existing one. I use Protégé 3.3 and OWL.
My ontology is called ESOA and the imported one SOA.

Whenever I tried to import SOA, Protégé would dim the buttons on the Ontology Browser of the Metadata tab and switch to the imported ESOA ontology...

When saving, this lead systematically to a Protege2Jena error - maybe because the base tag points to ESOA while the default namespace is still SOA?

Eventually, I used an editor to insert the line
    <owl:imports rdf:resource="http://www.opengroup.org/soa"/>
which displayed as I was expecting it in Protégé, namely in a SOA followed by ESOA hierarchy managed by the entries (read-only) in the repository manager.

Why was it not possible through a simple import?

TIA
- JP