[protege-owl] Comparing individuals

Ely Edison Matos ely.matos at ufjf.edu.br
Sun Aug 5 06:27:23 PDT 2007

Hello semantic fellows,
I have a begginer's doubt, i hope you can help. I need to know thar 2 individuals are "equals" or "the same" or "equivalent" in a owl ontology. Sample:

  <owl:Ontology rdf:about=""/>
  <owl:Class rdf:ID="Measure"/>
  <owl:Class rdf:ID="Unit"/>
  <owl:ObjectProperty rdf:ID="measures">
    <rdfs:range rdf:resource="#Measure"/>
    <rdfs:domain rdf:resource="#Unit"/>
  </owl:ObjectProperty>
  <Unit rdf:ID="meter">
    <measures>
      <Measure rdf:ID="distance"/>
    </measures>
  </Unit>
  <Unit rdf:ID="metre">
    <measures rdf:resource="#distance"/>
  </Unit>

How can I test (or "discover") that "meter" and "metre" are the same (cause it shares the same value to ObjectProperty, in this case). Do i need a some closure at class definition? Can I use a reasoner or SWRL?

Thanks,
Ely
Master Degree Student
Juiz de Fora - Brazil