[protege-owl] Variations in owl output of actual identical ontologies

Christian Knuepfer tral at minet.uni-jena.de
Mon Aug 6 01:55:39 PDT 2007

Hi,

Some days ago I sent already a question to this list, but unfortunately
there was no answer. So I'll try to ask a little bit different...

I create a little owl file *) with Protege 3.2.1 (test.1.owl). After
restarting Protege and loading the file I just wrote it back (test.owl).
Nothing was changed, no settings were altered. Now look at the
differences between this two files:

 ~/tmp/test > diff test.owl test.1.owl
11,13d10
<     <rdfs:seeAlso>
<       <owl:Thing rdf:ID="Thing_2"/>
<     </rdfs:seeAlso>
16c13,16
<     <rdfs:isDefinedBy rdf:resource="#Thing_2"/>
---
 >     <rdfs:isDefinedBy>
 >       <owl:Thing rdf:ID="Thing_2"/>
 >     </rdfs:isDefinedBy>
 >     <rdfs:seeAlso rdf:resource="#Thing_2"/>

I found this result quite annoying! Such a big diff between two
(semantically) identical "ontologies". Indeed this behaviour of the
Protege owl export makes revision control of ontologies almost impossible!

What do you think about this. Maybe there were already discussions on
this topic on this list, but I couldn't find them...

Cheers,

Christian.

*) Don't worry about the content it's just to illustrate the point.

--
Christian Knuepfer
Friedrich-Schiller-Universitaet Jena

currently at:
EMBL-EBI, Wellcome-Trust Genome Campus
Hinxton, Cambridge
CB10 1SD, UK

Mobile: Intl.+44-(0)7942-333513

e-mail: tral at informatik.uni-jena.de
WWW: http://www.informatik.uni-jena.de/~tral

PGP Key-ID: 0xC3329342
PGP Public Key:
  http://www.minet.uni-jena.de/~tral/data/christian_knuepfer_pub.asc
Fingerprint 5656 7F57 8E58 FC7B AC58 6714 3DA4 3181 C332 9342