[protege-owl] Complete a generic Ontology.

Martin O'Connor martin.oconnor at stanford.edu
Mon Aug 6 10:05:35 PDT 2007

Why are you creating your OWL ontology in a database? It is going to be
significantly more difficult to interact with than an ontology stored in
the standard way. How are you going to run OWL classifiers on the
ontology, for example? And SPARQL is an extremely awkward way of
extracting information from OWL rather than RDF-based ontologies.

Unless your ontology is going to be enormous, I would reconsider this
decision. Protege-OWL can easily handle ontologies with tens of
thousands of individuals and in a few months it will have full a
database back end available (with inclusion), which will allow it to
support ontologies with hundreds of thousands of individuals or more.

Martin