[protege-owl] Complete a generic Ontology.

Cesbron, Brice brice.cesbron at capgemini.com
Tue Aug 7 01:01:11 PDT 2007

Hello,

In fact, I have created a generic ontology with Protege. To illustrate this, think of the Pizza Tuto, my ontology is like this tuto without the "named Pizza". Many different project managers will use the generic ontology to their project and each case treated will become a named pizza with specific ingredients and mild... Moreover ingredients classes are defined but it will be possible to create a new ingredient (it is useless to start with all cheese existing in the world but sometimes you maybe have to add one)
That's why I use a database.

What we want to the end :
- We want to share a generic ontology to many persons on a wide network.
- Each person who will use the generic ontology will create his own individuals.
- Every individual, even if it's specific to a project, have to be shared to everyone.

So we use a database in addition to Protege because of I think it's not possible to have this aspect of collaborative, shared work through the web and through our firewall with Protege. Maybe I'm wrong? If yes, just tell me, because some semantic database are really hard to use compared to Protege, trust me :)

The upgrade of Protege you are talking seem very interresting. When it is available?

Thanks in advance,
Best Regards.

Brice Cesbron | Capgemini SUD | Marseille | France
Responsable OWL |
Tel : +33 4 91 16 57 77 |
90, Chemin du Roy d'Espagne | BP23 | 13275 Marseille cedex 09