[protege-owl] Comparing individuals

Ely Edison Matos ely.matos at ufjf.edu.br
Tue Aug 7 12:19:00 PDT 2007

Hi Thomas and fellows,
Thanks for the comments and sugestions. Actually, i'm converting xml files
that already has a schema. There is a notion of "standard units" (base units
of International Systems SI, like meter, ampere, kilogram, etc.) and "user
defined units", defined as operations over the base units (e.g. centimeter
is a operation over meter). At the ontology I created a class "Unit" and two
subclasses "StandardUnit" and "UserDefinedUnit". Using your example,
"kilometer" will be a UserDefinedUnit with a property "isDerivedFrom"
Unit(meter).
The notion of "isSameAs" will be applied to variables. Variables are
associated to a Unit. I'll need to know if variables A and B are associated
with the same units (or variations of the same Unit), among others
similarities, they are "equals" or "the same" variables.
I'm accepting sugestions and I will be happy to discuss the "ontology
engeneering"...Only I dont't know if this is the adequate forum or there are
other lists to this matter.

Thanks,
Ely