[protege-owl] Comparing individuals (with SWRL)

Ely Edison Matos ely.matos at ufjf.edu.br
Tue Aug 7 12:25:42 PDT 2007

Hello fellows,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Thomas Russ"

> > To avoid a individual isSameAs itself,
>
> But why do you care?
> An individual really isSameAs itself, isn't it?

yes...yes...I can´t deny :-)

> > i tried:
> >
> > Unit(?x1)  ∧  measures(?x1, ?y1)  ∧  Unit(?x2)  ∧  measures(?
> > x2, ?y1)  ∧  differentFrom(?x1, ?x2) → isSameAs(?x1, ?x2)
> >
> > but Jess, now, asserted nothing...
>
> Which is a good thing, since otherwise you in effect have a rule that
> says
>
>     differentFrom(?x1, ?x2) => isSameAs(?x1, ?x2)
>
> which one would hope is never really true, since it leads to a
> contradiction.

Living, trying and learning...I didn´t think of the consequences...:-))

As I understood, i need to say in the ontology that the individuals are the
same as others or are different from others...As it is exactly what i want
to discover, I think of i can't use differentFrom in SWRL rule, ok?

Thanks,
Ely