[protege-owl] Question about InverseFunctional Property

João Olavo Baião de Vasconcelos joaoolavo at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 05:52:56 PDT 2007

On 8/7/07, Juan Sequeda <juanfederico at gmail.com> wrote:

> Why doesn't OWL let the InverseFunctional Property apply for datatype
> property.s

Bec it's only applied to object properties.

If I have a class Person and a datatype property called hasSSN, this is
> considered an inverse functional property because my SSN identifies only
> me.  Can't this be done? Or do I have to have a class SSN ?

Yes, you should create a class SSN in order to achieve the restriction "a
SSN number is connected to only one person".

Notice that a SSN must be connected to exactly one person (this is how it's
done here in Brazil).
If a property is functional, it can be connected to 0 or 1 things.
Probably, would be better if you create a restriction in the SSN class
saying "isSSNOf exactly 1".

--
João Olavo Baião de Vasconcelos
Ciência da Computação