[protege-owl] Can't create individuals with rdf:ID the same as the class name

Thomas Russ tar at ISI.EDU
Thu Aug 9 09:48:57 PDT 2007

On Aug 9, 2007, at 1:20 AM, Bartosz Porzuczek wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm implementing converter between two ontologies, BioPAX and CSO.
> When
> I try to create individual, that has the same name as its class, I get
> exception :
> java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: SequenceSite not unique:
> DefaultOWLNamedClass(SequenceSite, FrameID(14:11380 1))
>
> in this case, class name is "SequenceSite", and individual rdf:ID is
> "SequenceSite". Problem occurs for other such pairs too.
>
> When I changed rdf:ID of that individual, problem disappears.
>
> Do I have to check all individuals that have rdf:ID the same as its
> classe names, before I start conversion, or is there a way to avoid
> this
> exception?

Yes, you have to check this.
Distinct objects have to have different names.

You can't have an individual and a class have the same name, unless
you want to be in OWL-Full and intend them to be the same object.  I
suspect that is not what you want to do, though.