[protege-owl] Edit imported ontologies

Thomas Russ tar at ISI.EDU
Thu Aug 9 09:52:52 PDT 2007

On Aug 9, 2007, at 2:05 AM, Carstens, Carola wrote:

> Hello,
> I am currently working on an ontology about institutions,
> researchers,... Therefore I decided to use the SWRC vocabulary
> (http://ontoware.org/projects/swrc/). I imported the whole SWRC
> ontology into my own one using Protégé. But afterwards I was not
> able to change anything in the SWRC ontology any more.

If you have a local copy of the imported ontology that you are able
to change, then you can do it.  The first tab in Protege ("Metadata")
allows you to choose which ontology you are currently editing.
Select the ontology you want to work on and then click on the pencil
icon.

If you import directly from a URL without a local copy, then I don't
think you can edit the ontology, because there isn't any way to save
the changes.

> For example, I would just like to delete some properties I do not
> need.

Well, you could also just leave them in place and not use them.  They
won't hurt anything.