[protege-owl] Finding if A is the same type of individual as B

Thomas Russ tar at ISI.EDU
Fri Aug 10 09:32:58 PDT 2007

OK, I'll take a stab at these, although I must confess that I haven't
really done any work with SWRL, so there may be some omissions and
errors.

On Aug 10, 2007, at 6:44 AM, Patil, Lalit wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to find out if the following could be represented in SWRL?
>
> Given:
>
> a. AClass, BClass are OWL concepts, such that BClass is subClassOf
> AClass
> b. individualA1, and individualA2 are instances of Aclass
> c. individualB1, is instance of Bclass
>
> Then:
> Is there an SWRL property or a combination of properties that be
> used to
> determing if
>
> 1. individualA1 and individualA2 are instances of the same class

You should be able to check this easily by just using the same
variable for the class of each one.   I think "rdf:type" is the
appropriate relation (but I'm not completely sure).

     rdf:type(?a1, ?c) ^ rdf:type(?a2, ?c)

> 2. individualA1 and individual are instances of different classes

This is a bit harder, especially if there are hierarchical relations
between the classes.  Probably the best you can hope to do is to show
that the individuals are members of disjoint classes?  Otherwise you
start running into problems with open-world reasoning.

    rdf:type(?i1, ?c1) ^ rdf:type(?i2, ?c2) ^ tbox:isDisjointWith(?
c1, ?c2)