[protege-owl] Protege Server for Multi User

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Sun Aug 12 15:24:30 PDT 2007

Another possibility is that the HOSTNAME environment variable on the
server is set to something less than useful (e.g.  localhost).  This
has  happened to us before.  You can check the HOSTNAME variable on
linux with

	echo ${HOSTNAME}

and if it needs changing you can start the server with the following
syntax

	HOSTNAME=elliptic.dyndns.org ./run_protege_server.sh.

Here  is a list of diagnostic checks that you  can do assuming that
hostA is the server host and hostB is the client.

1. On the client test if the rmiregistry port is available.  If you
haven't set it explicitly this port is 1099.  On linux machines you
can test this by typing

		hostB> telnet hostA 1099

and seeing how the telnet command responds.

2. On the client test if the server port is available.  If you don't
set this explicitly then you can't do this test but if there are
firewall issues you should set the server port.

3. Check that the hostname given on the server machine can be
resolved on the client.  E.g. on linux machines

		hostA> echo ${HOSTNAME}
		elliptic
		host>

		hostB> dig +short elliptic

If the dig command on hostB does not return anything then you need to
set the hostname.

-TImothy