[protege-owl] Domain/Range vs OWL Restrictions

Juan Sequeda juanfederico at
Tue Aug 14 08:31:42 PDT 2007

I have a modelling question.

Lets say for example I have Class Student and Class Course and there is an
objectProperty isEnrolled whose domain is Student and range is Course.

Now, if I had an OWL restriction on the Class Course saying that

  a owl:Class ;
    [ a owl:Restriction ;
      owl:onProperty :isEnrolled;
      owl:allValuesFrom :Student
   ] .

Does that make my ontology "stronger"?

Does this have to do with the open world assumption, meaning that if I only
use the domain/range (which is RDFS) and I use a reasoner, then something
else could be classified in that group? But if I have an OWL restriction as
the one described before, then the reasoner won't classify it there?

What if I only use this OWL restriction and don't use the domain/range. What
implications does that have.

Juan Sequeda

Research Assistant                             Project Manager
Dept. of Computer Science                  Solutions
University of Texas at Austin                Austin, Texas, USA
jsequeda at                    juan at