[protege-owl] Domain/Range vs OWL Restrictions

Kaarel Kaljurand kaljurand at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 10:17:23 PDT 2007

Hi,

On 8/14/07, Juan Sequeda <juanfederico at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a modelling question.
>
> Lets say for example I have Class Student and Class Course and there is an
> objectProperty isEnrolled whose domain is Student and range is Course.
>
> Now, if I had an OWL restriction on the Class Course saying that
>
> :Course
>  a owl:Class ;
>  rdfs:subClassOf
>  [ a owl:Restriction ;
>  owl:onProperty :isEnrolled;
>  owl:allValuesFrom :Student
>  ] .

Domain and range in your example can be expressed by the following
natural language sentences:

Everybody that is-enrolled-in something in a student. (domain)
Everything that somebody is-enrolled-in is a course.  (range)

or in Manchester Syntax as general SubClassOf-axioms:

(is-enrolled-in some Thing) subClassOf student
(inv(is-enrolled-in) some Thing) subClassOf course

Now you additionally have:

:Course
  a owl:Class ;
  rdfs:subClassOf
    [ a owl:Restriction ;
      owl:onProperty :isEnrolled;
      owl:allValuesFrom :Student
   ] .

which I understand as (in Manchester Syntax):

course subClassOf (is-enrolled-in only student)

which can be rewritten as:

(inv(is-enrolled-in) some course) subClassOf student

which in natural language reads:

Everything that a course is-enrolled-in is a student.

That's weird! Did you intend to use the inverse of
is-enrolled-in instead? I.e.:

course subClassOf (inv(is-enrolled-in) only student)

which can be rewritten as:

(is-enrolled-in some course) subClassOf student

which in natural language reads:

Everybody that is-enrolled-in a course is a student.

> Does that make my ontology "stronger"?

What do you mean by "stronger"?

> Does this have to do with the open world assumption, meaning that if I only
> use the domain/range (which is RDFS) and I use a reasoner, then something
> else could be classified in that group?

What group?

> What if I only use this OWL restriction and don't use the domain/range. What
> implications does that have.

Things can be enrolled in other things than only courses, and the
enrolled things are
not necessarily students.

Sincerely,
kaarel