[protege-owl] Negated Properties in SWRLTab

Matt Williams matthew.williams at cancer.org.uk
Wed Aug 15 00:18:34 PDT 2007

Dear Petros,

Thanks for that - just a point that I was referring to negation, not
NAF, and they are not the same - after all, OWL has negation, but does
not have NAF.

Having said that, I can't see any references in the SWRL docs that talk
about negation, but then that would mean we can't write:

A(x) -> not B(x)

which would seem to be a fairly trivial assertion to make (and since it
does not extend OWL, should also not cause problems with reasoning).

Matt

Papapanagiotou Petros wrote:
> Dear Matt,
>
> I'm afraid negation is not supported by SWRL.
>
> Adding support for negation isn't a trivial matter. Negation-as-failure
> is contradictory to the SW open-world assumption. Thus, SWRL is,
> unfortunately, limited in this regard.
>
> You'll have to think of a way around it, if any.
>
> Petros
>
> Matt Williams wrote:
>> Dear All,
>>
>> Is there any way of using negated properties in SWRL?
>>
>> I would like to use a rule such as:
>>
>> ?a myProp ?b -> ?a not myOtherProp ?b
>>
>> but the editor won't allow me.
>>
>> Any ideas?