[protege-owl] Using SWRL to validate models

Martin O'Connor martin.oconnor at stanford.edu
Thu Aug 16 19:17:09 PDT 2007

I would recommend using OWL as much as you can express these
conditions. Then you will be able to use a reasoner to detect invalid
entities.

However, if validation depends on complex conditions involving the
values of entities you may require SWRL. In that case you could do
something like define a class called InvalidElement and use SWRL to
classify all invalid elements as members of this class.

In princple a SWRL rule without a head can be used to express these
types of constraints, but the current SWRLTab implementation does not
support this type of rule properly.

Martin