[protege-owl] ValuePartition and Enumeration Patterns Problem

David Canos davidcanos at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 01:24:00 PDT 2007

Working with PRotege 3.2.1 and 3.3. Windows and Linux.
I have a strange behavior after using patterns.
Whenever I do an enumeration or a value partition using the Pattern
option in tool menu. After I choose name, items, domain, name of the
property and accept... Application tells me "succesfull" but I realize
that the domain of the property created is not properly.
It appears two classes instead of the class I choose, owl:Thing and the
domainclass I choose.

Looking into the owl file it generates I've found:

 <owl:ObjectProperty rdf:ID="hasXXXX">
    <rdfs:range rdf:resource="#XXXX"/>
    <rdfs:domain>
      <owl:Class>
        <owl:unionOf rdf:parseType="Collection">
          <rdf:Description rdf:about="http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#Thing"/>
          <owl:Class rdf:about="#XXXXXXX"/>
        </owl:unionOf>
      </owl:Class>
    </rdfs:domain>
  </owl:ObjectProperty>

instead of something like:

 <owl:ObjectProperty rdf:ID="hasPollutantType">
    <rdfs:range rdf:resource="#PollutantType"/>
    <rdfs:domain>
       <owl:Class rdf:about="#PollutionMeasurementRelated"/>
    </rdfs:domain>
  </owl:ObjectProperty>

If you try to fix the problem, removing the domain, by clicking on the
button. You will get a class cast Internal Error, pasted below:

Internal Error:java.lang.ClassCastException:
edu.stanford.smi.protege.model.DefaultCls cannot be cast to
edu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl.model.RDFSClass.
...report it to the mailing list...
Your ontology may now no longer be in a consistent state, and you may
want to save this version under a different name.

I indeed, my ontology is now absolutely broken.
Next time you start Protege you will find some new clases called
Axiom_X, with different IDs like A01, A02... Sometimes you can't select
this classes anymore, impossible to delete.

I fixed it replacing code directly in the owl file, like pasted above.
But never after clicked in the "remove class from domain" button. It
completely broke the ontology.

Thank you

David Canós