[protege-owl] Loading RDF instances into an existing ontology

Timothy Redmond tredmond at
Tue Aug 21 14:12:33 PDT 2007

I would advise some caution on this.  Importing RDF/RDFS files into
OWL is not a defined concept.

But - in the context of OWL Full - it seems that we can understand
the intent.  In general mixing rdf/rdfs and owl means that you are
not using OWL DL.  This means that you lose the ability to use OWL
inference engines though you keep the advantage of a standard well-
defined semantics.  In addition Protege has trouble with many OWL
Full constructs such as properties that are also classes or
individuals that are also properties.  So there may be RDF/RDFS files
that contain valid OWL Full constructs that cannot be understood as
OWL Full by Protege.

But I do see the motivation of what you are trying to do.  Tania is
looking into the possibility of supporting your request.  But it
would probably not be a recommended practice and not fully supported
(in the case the the RDF/RDFS files contain constructs not supported
by Protege).