[protege-owl] ClassCastException when importing an ontology Protege 3.3

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Tue Aug 21 15:52:24 PDT 2007

Protege OWL has some trouble with OWL Full constructs.  In particular
it does not like missing declarations.  Usually - as in this case -
these missing declarations are problems with the ontology and should
be fixed.  They often result in ontologies that are OWL full when
they should be OWL dl.  These kinds of problems can be detected with
an OWL validator such as http://www.mygrid.org.uk/OWL/Validator.

In this case the first problem that Protege hits is the URI

	http://vocab.org/bio/0.1/#event

(note the #).    This URI is not declared in the ontology or its
imports.  It seems most likely that this URI is supposed to be a
property and indeed that it is supposed to be the property given by
the URI

	http://purl.org/vocab/bio/0.1/event

And so Protege gets into trouble when it tries to find the super
properties of

	http://purl.org/ontology/mo/engineered

because  one of the claimed super properties (http://vocab.org/bio/
0.1/#event) is not known to be a property.

-Timothy