[protege-owl] Loading RDF instances into an existing ontology

Tania Tudorache tudorache at stanford.edu
Wed Aug 22 14:42:09 PDT 2007

In the next Protege release, you will be able to import directly from
rdf and rdfs files if you choose in the import wizard "Import from a
specific local file". This will most likely make your ontology OWL Full
and there are certain things that Protege does not support for OWL Full
ontologies as Timothy explained.

The OWL import mechanism operates with owl:Ontology instances, which
will not be available in the RDF and RDFS files. We will treat the
RDF(S) file as an OWL ontology without a specified owl:Ontology
statement. For this case, the logical URI of the ontology will be
computed as the xml:base, if present, and if not, it will be the
physical location of the file.

Tania