[protege-owl] Modeling change, source, uncertainty, contradiction?

Thomas Russ tar at ISI.EDU
Fri Aug 24 12:36:56 PDT 2007

On Aug 23, 2007, at 11:11 PM, Johann Petrak wrote:

> Getting back to OWL I wonder if it would be possible to
> have the cake and eat it: would it be possible to
> introduce triples that give additional information
> about properties (making a property the domain of another
> property) which can also be searched,

You could certainly do this.  This will move your ontology into OWL-
Full, which means that the entire ontology cannot be handled by the
standard OWL-DL reasoners like Pellet, Fact++ or Racer.

It's also not clear that it would accomplish what you want.

You need to distinguish meta-properties or annotations that provide
additional information about a Property and second-order statements
that provide additional information about a Triple.  Annotating
properties can be done inside OWL.  Annotating triples can't.  As an
example of the difference, consider:

    Property age

    Annotations:
             age created-by Bill-Smith
             age created-on Feb-18-2007

    Triples:
             Elizabeth-Tailor age 35
             [Elizabeth-Tailor age 35] certainty 0.01
             [Elizabeth-Tailor age 35] source  Tailor's-Publicist

It is the annotations of the triples that will be difficult to
achieve, unless you introduce reified terms for them.

> but with the protege-owl framework ignoring
> those triples for reasoning (e.g. when computing
> a transitive closure)?

Well, making them annotation properties should accomplish this.
Also, a number of the OWL-DL reasoners will, in fact, take OWL-Full
input and just ignore the parts that are outside of OWL-DL.