[protege-owl] SWRL to "move" individuals?

Thomas Russ tar at ISI.EDU
Fri Aug 24 12:42:19 PDT 2007

On Aug 24, 2007, at 12:10 PM, Ely Edison Matos wrote:

> Hello,
> Is it possible to use SWRL to "move" (reclassify) individuals?
> Ex: MyInterface(?x1) and hasPublicInterface(?x1, out) ->
> MyPublicInterfaceOutput(x2)
>
> MyPublicInterfaceOutput is subclass of MyInterface. I have a
> individual MyInterface with a property hasPublicInterface = out. I
> want to "move" this individual to class MyPublicInterfaceOutput.
> The example rule creates a new individual...how can i "remove" the
> "old" individual?

Two answers.

1.  Instead of "x2" use "?x1" in the consequent of the rule.

2.  Instead of SWRL, just use OWL constructs to define the
"MyPublicInterfaceOutput" class.  The inference rule that you have
written in SWRL can also be written using OWL intersection and has
value restrictions.  If you can express this in OWL, that is a better
way to do it than using SWRL.  You should reserve SWRL for expressing
those constraints that you can't say in OWL.