[protege-owl] SWRL to "move" individuals?

Thomas Russ tar at ISI.EDU
Mon Aug 27 09:05:25 PDT 2007

On Aug 27, 2007, at 2:59 AM, Kaarel Kaljurand wrote:

> On 8/25/07, Martin O'Connor <martin.oconnor at stanford.edu> wrote:
>> In general, if you can do something in OWL, you should.
>
> I'm just curious. Why doesn't SWRLTab just save the rule as OWL it
> this happens to
> be is possible?

Well, for starters, this isn't necessarily an easy thing to figure out.
While it may be possible to do this for some relatively simple patterns,
in general it would take a theorem prover to figure out and may end up
being undecidable.  It involves figuring out that a particular logical
expression in SWRL entails some equivalent in OWL, and that will not be
an easy task, especially given that you have to construct the potential
OWL equivalent.