[protege-owl] SWRL to "move" individuals?

Kaarel Kaljurand kaljurand at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 09:31:25 PDT 2007

Hi,

On 8/27/07, Ely Edison Matos <ely.matos at ufjf.edu.br> wrote:
> Hello,
> Original question:
> - Is it possible to use SWRL to "move" (reclassify) individuals? Ex:
> MyInterface(?x1) and hasPublicInterface(?x1, out) ->
> MyPublicInterfaceOutput(?x1)
>
> With OWL, it was defined a subclass of MyInterface:
> MyPublicInterfaceOutput defined as "MyInterface and (hasPublicInterface
> hasValue out)

What you really need (on the basis of the original rule) is:

(MyInterface and (hasPublicInterface has out)) subClassOf
MyPublicInterfaceOutput

i.e. the implication goes only in one direction. As far as I know,
it's hard (if not impossible)
to enter this in Protege 3.x, use Protege 4.

Making the two class descriptions equivalent (like you did) might also
be correct
in your case, but it doesn't reflect the original rule.

> Running reasoner, the individuals was reclassified correctly, by the same
> individual was classified as MyPublicInterfaceOutput AND ALSO MyInterface.
>
> Following the original question, are there a way to "remove" automaticaly
> this classification under MyInterface, or it is correct to the individual
> stay in both of class?

It is ok (and inevitable) for an individual to be in many classes,
e.g. John is a manager, but also a car-owner, a man, a human, and a
thing and so on.

--
kaarel