[protege-owl] SWRL to "move" individuals?

Martin O'Connor martin.oconnor at stanford.edu
Tue Aug 28 02:04:07 PDT 2007

Only a very resticted subset of SWRL rules can be saved as equivalent
OWL constructs. Conversely, SWRL can not directly represent most OWL
contructs - it requires the use of OWL anonymous classes to do so.

For example, to state that individuals of a particular class, A, have
a property hasP with a cardinality restriction of 1 can be stated in
SWRL as:

A(?a) -> (hasP <= 1)(?a)

The expression in parenthesis is an OWL expression and expressing it
using SWRL would not give any particular advantages - and one would
still be required to be familiar with OWL expressions.

Non trivial use of OWL requires an intimate knowledge of OWL
constructs. SWRL provides no magic bullet here.

Martin