[protege-owl] mapping a non functional property to another class with OWL

Thusitha Mabotuwana thusitha at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Sat Nov 10 15:19:45 PST 2007

I'm sure you'll hear a better way of doing this from someone with more
expertise/experience..but to me it sounds like you need to have some property
linking (PatientDocuments and Patient) classes or (PatientDocuments and
Treatments). The way I understand it, you want the range to be Treatments for
both, PatientDocuments and Patient classes and I would have a new property
hasPatient defined instead of getTreatmentOfPatient you already have:

PatientDocuments hasPatient Patients

and then use a swrl rule:
Patient(?p) ^ hasTreatments(?p, ?tr) ^ hasPatient(?pd, ?p) -> sqwrl:select(?p,
?tr, ?pd)

if you just want to see the patients, treatments and patient documents.

On the otherhand if you want the PatientDocuments class to contain treatment
information, you can define the domain of hasTreatments to be Patient and
PatientDocuments, and then use a swrl rule like:

PatientDocuments(?pd) ^ hasTreatments(?pd, ?tr) ^ Patient(?p) ^
hasTreatments(?p, ?tr) -> select what you want.

Well, that'd be my initial thought anyway..