[protege-owl] Query: representing network IP address in OWL-DL, in particular subnet ranges

william fitzgerald wfitzgerald at tssg.org
Wed Aug 13 06:17:05 PDT 2008

Dear OWL Experts,

[problem domain: ranges of "things" (possibly in a certain order)]

I am wondering if anyone may have an opinion of how to represent network
IP addresses in OWL-DL.

It appears representing network ranges/subnets seems to be a little tricky.

How I currently handle/hacked a crude solution is to have a class called IP.

Within that Class, individuals for example ip1, ip2 etc have data-type
properties to integers.

ip1 hasIPStartRange 192.168.1.0
ip1 hasIPEndRange   192.168.1.255

Thus ip1 represents the subnet 192.168.1.0/24

ip2 could be for example:

ip2 hasStartIPRange 10.37.1.1
ip2 hasEndIPRange   10.37.1.1

Thus representing one single ip address.

External individuals of other classes for example Router or Server could
then have a object property (hasIPaddress) to individuals of the IP class.

I was also thinking of breaking the IP address down into 4 individuals
(segments) who each have a single data-type property to an integer. For
example

ip1 hasIPSegment 192
ip2 hasIPSegment 168
ip3 hasIPSegment 1
ip4 hasIPSegment 1

Their conjunction is to represent IP address of 192.168.1.1

Then setting a Server individual (serv1) for example to the collection
of IP segments that are required:

serv1 hasIPAddressSegment ip1
serv1 hasIPAddressSegment ip2
serv1 hasIPAddressSegment ip3
serv1 hasIPAddressSegment ip4

However, how does one "order/sequence" within an ontology so that it
does not become "1.192.1.168" for example?

I would be delight to hear how people usually handle ranges of "things"
(term used loosely here) in terms of OWL-DL. Is this a common modelling
problem?

Additonal info:I create and use ontologies from within the 3.4 Protege
GUI environment. I have a copy of the latest August build installed.
Pellet and SWRL are used.

regards,
Will.

|                   William M. Fitzgerald (MSc, BSc)                   |
|Researcher                                  | PhD Student             |
|Telecommunications Software & Systems Group,| Computer Science Dept., |
|ArcLabs Research and Innovation Centre,     | University College Cork,|
|Waterford Institute of Technology,          | Cork.                   |
|WIT West Campus,                            |                         |
|Carriganore,                                |                         |
|Waterford.                                  |                         |
|Office Ph: +353 51 302937                   |                         |
|Mobile Ph: +353 87 9527083                  |                         |
|Web: www.williamfitzgerald.org                                        |
|     www.linkedin.com/in/williamfitzgerald                            |
|     www.ryze.com/go/wfitzgerald                                      |
|     www.tssg.org/people/wfitzgerald/                                 |