[protege-owl] Query: representing network IP address in OWL-DL, in particular subnet ranges

Nick Drummond nick.drummond at cs.manchester.ac.uk
Wed Aug 13 08:35:52 PDT 2008

Not sure this is a "standard" modelling question (if there is such a thing).

If you need to be able to reason about the relation of the masks to the
addresses I suppose you might need to split the thing up into its
components.

You could use a variant of owl lists:
hasIPAddressSegment some ((hasValue value 192) and (hasNextSegment
some ((hasValue value 168) and (hasNextSegment...

If you don't want to be able to reason about this - stick with the numerics.
But how do you know 19216811 is not 19.216.8.11? or 192.16.81.1?Not sure how
big the xsd:integer is but padding with the appropriate 0s might be
sensible.

Nick