[protege-owl] Query: representing network IP address in OWL-DL, in particular subnet ranges

william fitzgerald wfitzgerald at tssg.org
Fri Aug 15 06:37:36 PDT 2008

Martin and Thomas,

Thank you both for your responses. Your proposed solution seems to be a
viable alternative. I was also considering the OWL linked list like
approach examined in one of Nick Drummond's papers. But this approach
may not suite my needs.

You have certainly provided food-for-thought so thanks a million for
getting me started. I may report back at some stage to let those know
how things worked out.

regards,
Will.

Thomas Russ wrote:
> On Aug 13, 2008, at 6:17 AM, william fitzgerald wrote:
>
>> I was also thinking of breaking the IP address down into 4 individuals
>> (segments) who each have a single data-type property to an integer.
>> For
>> example
>>
>> ip1 hasIPSegment 192
>> ip2 hasIPSegment 168
>> ip3 hasIPSegment 1
>> ip4 hasIPSegment 1
>>
>> Their conjunction is to represent IP address of 192.168.1.1
>>
>> Then setting a Server individual (serv1) for example to the collection
>> of IP segments that are required:
>>
>> serv1 hasIPAddressSegment ip1
>> serv1 hasIPAddressSegment ip2
>> serv1 hasIPAddressSegment ip3
>> serv1 hasIPAddressSegment ip4
>>
>> However, how does one "order/sequence" within an ontology so that it
>> does not become "1.192.1.168" for example?
>
> Well, a somewhat kludgey solution, since it ends up encoding the
> sequence in the property name would be something like:
>
>   ip1 hasOctet1 192
>   ip1 hasOctet2 168
>   ip1 hasOctet3 1
>   ip1 hasOctet4 1
>
> the order is implicit in the external knowledge that the octets are
> ordered.  But that isn't explicitly reflected in the ontology.
>
> However, as a practical solution, this may work for you.

|                   William M. Fitzgerald (MSc, BSc)                   |
|Researcher                                  | PhD Student             |
|Telecommunications Software & Systems Group,| Computer Science Dept., |
|ArcLabs Research and Innovation Centre,     | University College Cork,|
|Waterford Institute of Technology,          | Cork.                   |
|WIT West Campus,                            |                         |
|Carriganore,                                |                         |
|Waterford.                                  |                         |
|Office Ph: +353 51 302937                   |                         |
|Mobile Ph: +353 87 9527083                  |                         |
|Web: www.williamfitzgerald.org                                        |
|     www.linkedin.com/in/williamfitzgerald                            |
|     www.ryze.com/go/wfitzgerald                                      |
|     www.tssg.org/people/wfitzgerald/                                 |