[protege-owl] migrating from MYSQL DB to OWL in protege?

Jaehyun Kwak jhn.kwak at
Tue Aug 19 01:30:43 PDT 2008

Hi everyone!
I'm modeling OWL ontology with some big data sources.
working with RDF/OWL file in protege was too slow and unstable.
to overcome this problem, I set protege RDB backend and it works better.
but, the result of my work must be a RDF/OWL file format in order to
be transfered to another working team.
I found protege has the option to export or convert RDF databases to OWL
but, migrating DB to OWL file with these options make some problem
(actually, I am not sure whether it is)

this is original OWL file made with protege.
I think an OWL file should looks like this.
  <owl:Class rdf:about="#Caprina">
          <owl:Class rdf:ID="SundriedTomatoTopping"/>
          <owl:ObjectProperty rdf:about="#hasTopping"/>

and here is a exported OWL syntax from DB
the difference is 1) rdf:ID attributes became rdf:about in every point. 2)
lots of annotation properties with rdf: prefix has created.
by doing this file size doubled after migrating.
I don't sure this can affect to system perfomance or something.
<owl:Class rdf:about="
    <rdfs:label xml:lang="pt">CoberturaDeTomateRessecadoAoSol</rdfs:label>
    <owl:disjointWith rdf:resource=""/
    <rdfs:subClassOf rdf:resource=""/>
          <owl:Class rdf:about=""/>
          <owl:FunctionalProperty rdf:about=""/>

this is another exported version by protege.
file size is doubled also.
I think this cannot be used in other systems. (maybe a tool or a application
other than protege)
  <rdf:Description rdf:nodeID="A2">
    <owl:someValuesFrom rdf:resource=""/>
    <owl:onProperty rdf:resource=""/>
    <rdf:type rdf:resource=""/>
  <rdf:Description rdf:nodeID="A3">
    <rdf:rest rdf:nodeID="A4"/>
    <rdf:first rdf:resource=""/>

I wonder if anyone faced this situation, and got a conclusion.
in first sight, protege has no problem to handle all these formats.
but how about other applications? I have no idea what can be happen.

thanks for your attention. have a good day~!