[protege-owl] a bug with repository mechanism?

Tania Tudorache tudorache at stanford.edu
Thu Jan 3 18:45:23 PST 2008

Weishan,

zhang weishan wrote:
> Hello All,
>   I noticed that there may be a bug in the repository mechanism. When
> the 'forceReadOnly' is not 'true', sometimes and often, when you save
> the importing ontology, the imported ontology will be changed
> unexpectedly to modify some of the defintions of 'owl:class' to
> 'rdfs:class', which is really annoying.

Yes, this sounds like a bug. If you have the ontologies to reproduce
this behavior, please send them to us so that we can debug this.

>   As refer to my previous post:'create an owlmodel that loading all
> imported ontologies', can repository mechanism helps? I have one
> ontology (maybe more in the future) contains some SWRL rules, which
> are querying the instances of imported ontologies, and these instances
> are updated periodically. What is a better way in terms of performance
> to achieve the monitoring of the imported instance changes? I used
> Protege-OWL to generate java code for manipulating the imported
> ontologies.

The repository mechanism will allow you to load ontologies locally that
are not available at the location specified by the ontology URI. The
repository mechanism is described here:

http://protege.stanford.edu/doc/owl/owl-imports.html

If you want to monitor the changes of the individuals you can attach a
listener to the owl model. This is described here:

http://protege.stanford.edu/plugins/owl/api/guide.html#Listeners

I hope this helps.

Tania