[protege-owl] Get inferred property values

SAPI m59sapi at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 4 12:47:04 PST 2008

Sorry for my long holiday break, coming back to my original questions, the
ontology consists of disease which hasSyndromes, Syndrome hasSymptoms, it is
easy to construct a demo, for example, to show people how to infer the
Syndrome based on instances of hasSymptoms , but beyond that I am struggling
with some very basic issues to make it a useful tool for real diagnosis:

1. How to infer from an instance-based ontology rather than a class-based
ontology: Judging from Thomas's response it seems that you must put
everything into the class as N&S conditions, but in my case, the user would
be expected to pick the correct instances of symptoms and then clicking a
button would do the reasoning to get the possible syndromes, he would then
decide what syndrome this should be. His experience would then be used for
other doctors to infer as well, but it seems that we must convert this to
classes N&S conditions before this exp can be used.

2. DL logic is very rigid: This means I cannot model in an instance-based
ontology saying tha Bronchitis Syndrome A hasSymtoms Cough AND (green phelgm
OR yellow phelgm); then Synd B hasSymtoms Cough AND (no phelgm or white
phelgm), you must resort to those N&S conditions again to properly define
this.

3. There is no tool to transfer from a relational DB or spreadsheet to class
based ontology; played with Datamaster but very limited in its flexibility
in mapping the import from which column to which class

This is the third time I started from scratch developing the same ontology,
so I must get it right this time; the first 2 times failed as not enough
time was spent on how to get the information out or how to use the ontology
(reasoning requirements); protege seems to be very good in putting in the
information but not easy to get it out. Its a new field to me and I am not
sure if I miss anything here or there is a better tool out there, or would
putting the conditions into the rules engines helps (e.g. SWRL) or I have to
learn the OWL API to do what I want??

SAPI