[protege-owl] Please help: complement of a class?

Johann Petrak johann.petrak at chello.at
Mon Jan 7 12:58:48 PST 2008

OK, I obviously fail miserably at figuring this out:
(see attached owl file):

I want to simply assign all the individuals of some class A that
are not members of subclass ASub1 to another subclass of A, ASub2.

Clas ASub1 has the necessary and sufficient condition
   A and hasRange some B
so all members of A that have a property hasRange filled with B
make up class ASub1.
That works: if I add an individual to A that does have a property
hasRange flled with B then it shows up as member of class
ASub1. If I add an individual to A that does not have
a property hasRange filled with B, it does not show up in ASub1

No I want to create a second subclass of A, ASub2 that should contain
all members of A that are not members of B.

I tried to do this by make ASub1 and ASub2 covering A, i.e. in
A I have the necessary and sufficient condition
   ASub1 or ASUb2

And I tried to simply add the necessary and sufficient condition
   not ASub1
to ASub2.

ASub1 and ASub2 are defined to be disjunct.

Unfortunately, that is obviously the wrong idea, since it does not
work :)

I am puzzled though and obviously am missing something about the
OWA being at work here?

Since ASub1 and ASub2 cover A, anything that is known to not have
property hasRange filled with B should be in ASub2.
I have also added hasRange only B as a necessary condition to
A.

Can anybody help me here?

Cheers,
   Johann