[protege-owl] Inconsistency due to Multiple Inheritance

Christian Beckel Christian.Beckel at gmx.de
Tue Jan 8 01:07:33 PST 2008

Hello everybody,

I've got a design question which can be transferred to the pizza ontology
pretty well:

Following the "Conceptual Lego" principle, I'd like to connect two named
pizzas to one single class such that this new class inherits the restrictions
from both of them. For example, I want to create a class SalamiHamPizza which
inherits both the salami restriction and the ham restriction from its
superclasses.

However, of course, since Salami and Ham Pizza are disjoint classes this leads
to an inconsistent ontology. On the other hand, all I need SalamiHamPizza for
is subclass inference rather than actually instantiating individuals.

What's the solution to this problem? Is it really a bad thing to have an
ontology which has some inconsistent classes? Is there another way to model
SalamiHamPizza? Of course I could just copy the restrictions from SalamiPizza
and HamPizza without using inheritance, but I guess there must be a more
elegant solution.

Thanks for your advice,

Chris